Tuesday, February 11, 2014

"The Struggle is Part of the Story"

If you're lucky, you have two hands. While those hands can do many things, one of the best things they can be used for is to help. One hand to help yourself, and the other to help others. But what if someone doesn't want help?
 Sadly, I've had to realize that some people just don't want help. They don't want to be saved and frankly, you can't save those that don't want to be saved. It is so frustrating to watch someone drowning when they could save themselves simply by standing up. But often times, standing up is a journey. They'll fall, and trip. Maybe they'll drown again. The fact of the matter is, you can't change people. They have to change themselves. 
This was such a hard concept for me to realize. Watching countless people you love struggle is heartbreaking, and for a while, I thought I could help them reduce their struggles. Unfortunately, I can't shape someone's journey. Whats meant to be will be and maybe this low point in their life is what they need. The struggle is part of the story. 
As much as I wish I could help them, it is simply not possible. They only thing I can do is provide support. Even a silent presence is better than a thousand empty words. I can't make people be what I want them to be or decide what is best for them. I can only decide for myself and love others. I can only hope my love and silent presence will give them wings to fly, roots to come back, and a reason to stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment