Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Good Things Come to Those Who Work Hard


I'm not going to lie, I was skeptical about last night's game. How could Robert Morris University, a small, D1 school with more loses than wins beat the University of Kentucky, who won the NCAA Championship last year in basketball? Maybe it was due to my pessimistic outlook on most things, but I couldn't fathom that the Robert Morris Colonials Men Basketball team would win. As the saying goes, surprises come when you least expect it. 

Being a girl who isn't into sports, I didn't attend the game. Instead, I opted to watch the game on ESPN, which was crazy in itself. Robert Morris University is located in the middle of suburbia. We aren't widely known outside of the Pittsburgh area. But last night, we were super stars. 

With less than 9 seconds on the clock, Mike McFadden made the free throws that gave us the score of 59. Even though I wasn't in the Sewall Center, I could feel the anticipation, and significance of Kentucky's Kyle Wiltjer's next move. As the ball left his hands, I was silent. I watched as it sailed toward the hoop and then bounced off. I stared in disbelief as thousands of my classmates stormed the court. I could feel tears welling in my eyes as I watched the students, faculty and alum of Robert Morris University feel so much pride in being a Colonial.

I honestly can't imagine what its like to go to a big school and experience that level of camaraderie at every sporting event. I feel like those students are so used to it that it doesn't even phase them. But at Robert Morris, it is huge. I find it heartwarming to see those associated with the University so excited about this accomplishment. There's no telling who much of an impact this positive experience will have on this campus, but its safe to say that good things will come. As always, good things come to those who work hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment