Friday, February 22, 2013

Social Media: Connection or Depression?

I'll admit it, I love social networking. No matter what device I'm using, I'm constantly checking Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and Facebook. Every time someone interacts with me on any of these platforms, I am instantly notified on my phone. Even though I may not be with my friends or followers in real life, I am connected to them via social networking. 

 While social media has good intentions, being connected isn't always a good thing. Nicole Catenese, writer at Refinery 29, proposes that social media is making us depressed. Because of the popularity of social media, users are finding it more convenient to connect with friends, family and even strangers over the internet instead of in real life. Users are receiving instant gratification from "likes" and comments on the various platforms and are replacing real life interaction with social networking. When all the "likes" and comments become infrequent, users are left feeling lonely. 

Not only that, social media allows users to brag to all of their friends and followers. Being bombarded with statuses, tweets and pictures that show the good aspects of their lives leaves others comparing themselves against others. Often times, users will only post statuses about the good parts of their lives, like going on a vacation, a job promotion, getting engaged, etc. However, it is very rare that users are highlighting the negative aspects of their lives. I cannot think of the last time I saw a status about financial troubles, infertility, a break up or health issues. Comparing someone else's highlight reel with your behind the scenes only creates insecurity. 
I've seen it so many times, especially around holidays. When Christmas rolls around, friends and followers post statuses such as "first status from my new iPad! thanks mom and dad!" or Instagram pictures of the new Michael Kors watch. Last week on Valentine's day, girls every flocked to literally every social media platform available to post pictures of their flowers, chocolate, teddy bears, and jewelry that the best boyfriend ever got them. Although it's petty, I would be lying if I didn't say I was jealous that I did not get to spend Valentine's Day with my boyfriend. 

Every time I see one of these statuses or updates, I find myself being jealous. 
Why does she get to go on four vacations in one year and I dont? How does she afford to go shopping so much? What makes her so special that her boyfriend spoils her like that? 
What I need remember is I don't know everyone's situation, just like not everyone knows mine. Everyone has different circumstances in life and as hard as it is to do, I shouldn't judge a life I haven't lived. 

How do you curb jealous tendencies from social media? 

No comments:

Post a Comment